Enrolling Your Child in Easton Public Schools


Procedures for Enrollment and Proof of Residency

Proof of Residency Required

Before any student is enrolled in the Easton Public Schools District, the student's parent or legal guardian must prove legal residence in the Town of Easton. Children whose primary residence is outside of Easton are NOT eligible to attend Easton Public Schools. 

"Residency" means the domicile where a child spends the majority of time. The law is very clear that the determination for residency lies in the establishment of "domicile" - where the student resides, as determined by the establishment of where the center of domestic, social and civic life is, and this is where one is to attend school.  This standard must be the first step met before a family seeks to demonstrate the residency of the child.

All applicants must bring the following documentation to Central Administration in Person (DO NOT email or send via USPS)

1) Completed Residency Form:  Student Residency Form (pdf)
2) Child's Birth Certificate
3) At least one document from EACH of the following columns. 

The documents must be pre-printed with the name and address of the student's parent or guardian.  When registering a student, the district Registrar will confirm residency.  These documents will also be required for any change of address.

Must be showing an Easton current address

  • Valid driver's license
  • Valid Massachusetts photo identification card
  • Valid Passport, dated
    within the past year

If license/ID does not show current address, go online to: and click on Change of Address.  They will mail you a receipt.  Please submit a copy to the Registrar.
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Deed
  • Real Estate Tax Bill
  • Section 8 Agreement
  • Copy of  signed, current lease listing family members
  • Legal Affidavit from Landlord affirming tenancy
A Purchase and Sale Agreement is NOT accepted.
A utility bill or work order dated within the past 60 days including:

  • Gas bill
  • Oil Bill
  • Electric Bill
  • Home Telephone Bill
  • Cable Bill
Cell phone bills or medical statements are NOT accepted.

Please note that utility companies provide online access to download your bills/statements.

Legal Affidavit Required if  Applicant (Parent/Guardian) does not Own or Lease

Any applicant for the Eason Public Schools who cannot produce the documentation outlined above must ask the owner of the property, where the applicant lives, to complete a legal affidavit.

  • If a family is sharing housing with an individual or family the owner must appear at Central Administration along with the applicant to complete and sign an affidavit.
  • In addition, the owner must bring a copy of their mortgage statement, deed or real estate tax bill.
Affidavit of Parent/Guardian/Resident (pdf)

Legal Guardian Requirement

Legal guardianship requires additional documentation from a court or agency.  Documentation must be brought to Central Administration in person.

Homeless Students

The Easton Public Schools residency policy does not apply to homeless students.  (McKinney-Vento Act)

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 76 - Section 5

Every person shall have a right to attend the public schools in the town where he/she actually resides, subject to the following section.  No School Committee is required to enroll a person who does not actually reside in the town unless said enrollment is authorized by law or by the School Committee.  Any person who violates or assists in the violation of this provision may be required to remit full restitution to the town of the improperly attended public schools.  No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school or any town, or in obtaining the advantages, privileges and courses of study of such public school on account of race, color, sex, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

Registration Information

Kindergarten Registration for 2023-2024 School Year
Kindergarten registration information and forms
Kindergarten Orientation Informational Slideshow 

Student Record Release Form

State law requires students and/or their parents to provide a complete school record upon enrollment in a new district. 

Contact Information

For help with questions, contact our Central Registrars:

Tracy Matthews | 508-205-5900 ext 12120 |
Maureen Rush | 508-205-5900 ext 12121 |